Dear Parents and Families,
Imagine: walking the streets of ancient Athens, with Socrates at your side, as he dares to speak his conscience, risking everything in the name of Truth…even his life. Thanks to support from your school as well as generous assistance from foundations, corporations, and many private donors, your student has embarked, or will soon, on an amazing three-week learning adventure. For an hour each day, she/he will immerse themselves in a world far beyond the classroom—studying, co-writing, staging and performing an inspirational one-act SPIRIT SERIES play:
In journal entries, they will explore Four Pillars of Greek Philosphy: Self Reflection, Conscience, Balance, and Honesty. One of these attributes will also be the focus of your student’s At Home project. And we encourage you to join in! The At Home journey begins below, with heartfelt personal stories from friends of our program that celebrate these important character traits. Designed to engage and challenge, the At Home project, along with the entire SPIRIT SERIES curriculum, promotes literacy, higher-order thinking, positive core values, presentation skills, teamwork, character and self-esteem.
Follow the SERIES action on your school’s special webpage:
The success of this curriculum depends on your engagement and support. In the next three weeks, your student may bring home written assignments, journals, and a craft project. If so, please assist them in completing these important tasks. You may also wish to read the play, available on this website, and discuss together the key message of Socrates’ life. This transformative drama-based experience promises to be of lasting significance to your student. Thank you for your active participation.
Hope to see you at the show!
— Your SPIRIT SERIES Staff
- “It changed my life — Spirit Series!”Dominika Peikos7th Grade
- It was an honor doing Spirit Series — I will remember it for the rest of my life!Maria Aguilar8th Grade
- This program should be in every school across America!William Donovan6th Grade Parent
- In nearly 30 years of teaching, I have never experienced any program with such long-reaching effects as Spirit Series.Robin Winston4th Grade Teacher
- “Exquisite… Vitally important… Extremely engaging and effective.”Harvard Graduate School of Education2011
- “The process was great! Working with my Writing Buddy really helped.”— Keiran Rao10th Grade, San Francisco CA
Learn with your student
Learn about us
I'd be the first to seek an able teacher.
— Oracle of Delphi
— Oracle of Delphi
is not worth living.