Dear Parents and Families,
Imagine: walking the streets of ancient Athens, with Socrates at your side, as he dares to speak his conscience, risking everything in the name of Truth…even his life. Thanks to support from your school as well as generous assistance from foundations, corporations, and many private donors, your student has embarked, or will soon, on an amazing three-week learning adventure. For an hour each day, she/he will immerse themselves in a world far beyond the classroom—studying, co-writing, staging and performing an inspirational one-act SPIRIT SERIES play:
In journal entries, they will explore Four Pillars of Greek Philosphy: Self Reflection, Conscience, Balance, and Honesty. One of these attributes will also be the focus of your student’s At Home project. And we encourage you to join in! The At Home journey begins below, with heartfelt personal stories from friends of our program that celebrate these important character traits. Designed to engage and challenge, the At Home project, along with the entire SPIRIT SERIES curriculum, promotes literacy, higher-order thinking, positive core values, presentation skills, teamwork, character and self-esteem.
Follow the SERIES action on your school’s special webpage:
The success of this curriculum depends on your engagement and support. In the next three weeks, your student may bring home written assignments, journals, and a craft project. If so, please assist them in completing these important tasks. You may also wish to read the play, available on this website, and discuss together the key message of Socrates’ life. This transformative drama-based experience promises to be of lasting significance to your student. Thank you for your active participation.
Hope to see you at the show!
— Your SPIRIT SERIES Staff
- It's time we tend to the spirit of our children!Sonia MillerPrincipal, Samuel Gompers Middle School
- Spirit Series is one of the most amazing curricula I have seen in my four decades of public education.Janet ChapmanPrincipal, Rosewood Elementary School
- “As educators, we are fueled by those small but powerful moments when a student steps out of their comfort zone and stretches their thinking. Thank you Spirit Series!”— Michele KenistonPrincipal, Berwick ME
- “The process was great! Working with my Writing Buddy really helped.”— Keiran Rao10th Grade, San Francisco CA
- “It changed my life — Spirit Series!”Dominika Peikos7th Grade
- “Exquisite… Vitally important… Extremely engaging and effective.”Harvard Graduate School of Education2011
Learn with your student
Learn about us
I'd be the first to seek an able teacher.
— Oracle of Delphi
— Oracle of Delphi
is not worth living.