Harriet Tubman & the Struggle Against Slavery
“FREEDOM TRAIN” tells the story of Harriet Tubman, a young black woman, living under the yoke of slavery, who would risk her life so that others could be free. Set at a time when divisions over slavery in America threatened Civil War, Harriet escapes North from her plantation life, only to return South to lead her people to freedom as the most legendary of “conductors” on The Underground Railroad. Her life teaches us that we must sometimes “answer the call,” break the rules, and be willing to take the consequences when we do.
- “As educators, we are fueled by those small but powerful moments when a student steps out of their comfort zone and stretches their thinking. Thank you Spirit Series!”— Michele KenistonPrincipal, Berwick ME
- Spirit Series is one of the most amazing curricula I have seen in my four decades of public education.Janet ChapmanPrincipal, Rosewood Elementary School
- “The process was great! Working with my Writing Buddy really helped.”— Keiran Rao10th Grade, San Francisco CA
- “It changed my life — Spirit Series!”Dominika Peikos7th Grade
- “Exquisite… Vitally important… Extremely engaging and effective.”Harvard Graduate School of Education2011
- It's time we tend to the spirit of our children!Sonia MillerPrincipal, Samuel Gompers Middle School