Harriet Tubman & the Struggle Against Slavery
“FREEDOM TRAIN” tells the story of Harriet Tubman, a young black woman, living under the yoke of slavery, who would risk her life so that others could be free. Set at a time when divisions over slavery in America threatened Civil War, Harriet escapes North from her plantation life, only to return South to lead her people to freedom as the most legendary of “conductors” on The Underground Railroad. Her life teaches us that we must sometimes “answer the call,” break the rules, and be willing to take the consequences when we do.
- It was an honor doing Spirit Series — I will remember it for the rest of my life!Maria Aguilar8th Grade
- “Their stories made me cry! These kids said amazing things and just blew me away.”— Marne TrevesLAUSD Teacher, Los Angeles CA
- “As educators, we are fueled by those small but powerful moments when a student steps out of their comfort zone and stretches their thinking. Thank you Spirit Series!”— Michele KenistonPrincipal, Berwick ME
- This program should be in every school across America!William Donovan6th Grade Parent
- “Exquisite… Vitally important… Extremely engaging and effective.”Harvard Graduate School of Education2011
- “The process was great! Working with my Writing Buddy really helped.”— Keiran Rao10th Grade, San Francisco CA