Dear Parents and Families,
Imagine: hiding in a safe house on the Underground Railroad, with Harriet Tubman at your side, as she risks life and limb to free her People from the yoke of slavery. Thanks to support from your school as well as generous assistance from foundations, corporate sponsors and many private donors, your student has embarked, or will soon, on an amazing three-week learning adventure. For an hour each day, she/he will immerse themselves in a world far beyond the classroom—studying, co-writing, staging and performing an inspirational one-act SPIRIT SERIES play:
In journal entries, they will explore Four Facets of Freedom: Gratitude, Responsibility, Vision, and Service. One of these attributes will also be the focus of your student’s At Home project. And we encourage you to join in! The At Home journey begins below, with heartfelt personal stories from friends of our program that celebrate these important character traits. Designed to engage and challenge, the At Home project, along with the entire SPIRIT SERIES curriculum, promotes literacy, higher-order thinking, positive core values, presentation skills, teamwork, character and self-esteem.
Follow the SERIES action on your school’s special webpage:
The success of this curriculum depends on your engagement and support. In the next three weeks, your student may bring home written assignments, journals, and a craft project. If so, please assist them in completing these important tasks. You may also wish to read the play, available on this website, and discuss together the key message of Harriet Tubman’s life. This drama-based transformative experience promises to be of lasting significance to your student. Thank you for your active participation.
Hope to see you at the show!
— Your SPIRIT SERIES Staff
- In nearly 30 years of teaching, I have never experienced any program with such long-reaching effects as Spirit Series.Robin Winston4th Grade Teacher
- “Exquisite… Vitally important… Extremely engaging and effective.”Harvard Graduate School of Education2011
- “As educators, we are fueled by those small but powerful moments when a student steps out of their comfort zone and stretches their thinking. Thank you Spirit Series!”— Michele KenistonPrincipal, Berwick ME
- Spirit Series is one of the most amazing curricula I have seen in my four decades of public education.Janet ChapmanPrincipal, Rosewood Elementary School
- “The process was great! Working with my Writing Buddy really helped.”— Keiran Rao10th Grade, San Francisco CA
- This program should be in every school across America!William Donovan6th Grade Parent
Learn with your student
Learn about us
begins with a dreamer.
— Harriet Tubman
no man can degrade.
— Frederick Douglass
for the truth is all powerful and will prevail.
— Sojourner Truth
‘til my People do.
— Harriet Tubman
only light can do that.
— Martin Luther King, Jr.