Dear Parents and Families,
Imagine: meeting a mysterious people from a land far across the sea, or being welcomed by Moctezuma II and his magnificent City of Gold, Cortes at your side. Thanks to support from your school as well as generous assistance from foundations, corporate sponsors and private donors, your student has embarked, or will soon, on an amazing three-week learning adventure. For one hour each day, she/he will immerse themselves in a world far beyond the classroom—studying, co-writing, staging, and performing an inspirational one-act SPIRIT SERIES play:
The Conquistador’s Wife
In journal entries, they will explore the Four Agreements: Integrity, Insight, Perspective, and Excellence. One of these attributes will also be the focus of your student’s At Home project. And we encourage you to join in! The At Home journey begins below, with heartfelt personal stories from friends of our program that celebrate these important character traits. Designed to engage and challenge, the At Home project, along with the entire SPIRIT SERIES curriculum, promotes literacy, higher-order thinking, positive core values, presentation skills, teamwork, character and self-esteem.
Follow the SERIES action on your school’s special webpage:
The success of this curriculum depends on your engagement and support. In the next three weeks, your student may bring home written assignments, journals, and a craft project. If so, please assist them in completing these important tasks. You may also wish to read the play, available on this website, and discuss together its themes—forgiveness and acceptance of those who we find “different” than us. This transformative drama-based experience promises to be of lasting significance to your student. Thank you for your active participation.
Hope to see you at the show!
— Your SPIRIT SERIES Staff
- “Their stories made me cry! These kids said amazing things and just blew me away.”— Marne TrevesLAUSD Teacher, Los Angeles CA
- In nearly 30 years of teaching, I have never experienced any program with such long-reaching effects as Spirit Series.Robin Winston4th Grade Teacher
- This program should be in every school across America!William Donovan6th Grade Parent
- “Exquisite… Vitally important… Extremely engaging and effective.”Harvard Graduate School of Education2011
- It's time we tend to the spirit of our children!Sonia MillerPrincipal, Samuel Gompers Middle School
- Spirit Series is one of the most amazing curricula I have seen in my four decades of public education.Janet ChapmanPrincipal, Rosewood Elementary School
Learn with your student
Learn about us
— Toltec Wisdom
only this will set you free.
Use them for love and truth.
— Don Miguel Ruiz