Dear Parents & Families,
Imagine: befriending a young prince of Ancient India, only to have him leave his kingdom one day—and all that he loves—to seek a cure for life’s suffering. Thanks to support from your school as well as generous assistance from foundations, corporate sponsors and many private donors, your student has embarked, or will soon, on an amazing three-week learning adventure. For one hour each day, she/he will immerse themselves in a world far beyond the classroom—studying, co-writing, staging, and performing an inspirational one-act SPIRIT SERIES play:
In journal entries, they will explore the Four Steps on the Eightfold Path: Mindfulness, Compassion, Honor, and Merit. One of these attributes will also be the focus of your student’s At Home project. And we encourage you to join in! The At Home journey begins below, with heartfelt personal stories from friends of our program that celebrate these important character traits. Designed to engage and challenge, the At Home project, along with the entire SPIRIT SERIES curriculum, promotes literacy, higher-order thinking, positive core values, presentation skills, teamwork, character and self-esteem.
Follow the SERIES action on your school’s special webpage:
The success of this curriculum depends on your engagement and support. In the next three weeks, your student may bring home written assignments, journals, and a craft project. If so, please assist them in completing these important tasks. You may also wish to read the play, available on this website, and discuss together the key message of Prince Siddhartha’s life. This drama-based transformative experience promises to be of lasting significance to your student. Thank you for your active participation.
Hope to see you at the show!
— Your SPIRIT SERIES Staff
- In nearly 30 years of teaching, I have never experienced any program with such long-reaching effects as Spirit Series.Robin Winston4th Grade Teacher
- “It changed my life — Spirit Series!”Dominika Peikos7th Grade
- “As educators, we are fueled by those small but powerful moments when a student steps out of their comfort zone and stretches their thinking. Thank you Spirit Series!”— Michele KenistonPrincipal, Berwick ME
- “Exquisite… Vitally important… Extremely engaging and effective.”Harvard Graduate School of Education2011
- “The process was great! Working with my Writing Buddy really helped.”— Keiran Rao10th Grade, San Francisco CA
- “Their stories made me cry! These kids said amazing things and just blew me away.”— Marne TrevesLAUSD Teacher, Los Angeles CA
Learn with your student
Learn about us
can one find that which is greater.
we must let him go.
than to arrive.
— Prince Siddhartha