Dear Parents and Families,
Imagine: riding the Great Plains with the legendary chief of the Lakota Nation—Sitting Bull—as he fights to maintain the “Old Ways” in the face of Westward Expansion. Thanks to support from your school as well as generous assistance from foundations, corporate sponsors and many private donors, your student has embarked, or will soon, on an amazing three-week learning adventure. For an hour each day, she/he will immerse themselves in a world far beyond the classroom—studying, co-writing, staging and performing an inspirational one-act SPIRIT SERIES play:
Ballad of Sitting Bull
Founded by a concerned parent in 2001, our non-profit organization seeks to celebrate the human spirit and build bridges to our common humanity. The SPIRIT SERIES experience has been acclaimed by Harvard Graduate School of Education, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and has now been successfully completed by over 45,000 students from Maine to California. Designed to engage and challenge your student, this unique educational curriculum promotes literacy, higher-order thinking, positive core values, presentation skills, teamwork, character and self-esteem.
And you can join in! Follow the action on your school’s special webpage:
The success of this curriculum depends on your engagement and support. In the next three weeks, your student may bring home written assignments, journals, and a craft project. If so, please assist them in completing these important tasks. You may also wish to read the play, available on this website, and discuss together the key message of Chief Sitting Bull’s life. This drama-based transformative experience promises to be of lasting significance to your student.
Thank you for your active participation.
We hope to see you at the show!
— SPIRIT SERIES STAFF
- This program should be in every school across America!William Donovan6th Grade Parent
- In nearly 30 years of teaching, I have never experienced any program with such long-reaching effects as Spirit Series.Robin Winston4th Grade Teacher
- It's time we tend to the spirit of our children!Sonia MillerPrincipal, Samuel Gompers Middle School
- “Exquisite… Vitally important… Extremely engaging and effective.”Harvard Graduate School of Education2011
- “It changed my life — Spirit Series!”Dominika Peikos7th Grade
- Spirit Series is one of the most amazing curricula I have seen in my four decades of public education.Janet ChapmanPrincipal, Rosewood Elementary School