Dear Parents and Families,
Imagine: riding the Great Plains with the legendary chief of the Lakota Nation — Sitting Bull — as he fights to maintain the “Old Ways” in the face of Westward Expansion. Thanks to support from your school as well as generous assistance from foundations, corporate sponsors and many private donors, your student has embarked, or will soon, on an amazing three-week learning adventure. For an hour each day, they will immerse themselves in a world far beyond the classroom — studying, co-writing, staging and performing an inspirational one-act SPIRIT SERIES play:
Ballad of Sitting Bull
In journal entries, they will explore Four Lakota Virtues considered essential for any human being: Courage, Fortitude, Generosity and Wisdom. One of these Virtues will also be the focus of your student’s At Home project. And we encourage you to join in! The At Home journey begins below, with heartfelt personal stories from friends of our program that celebrate these important character traits. Designed to engage and challenge, the At Home project, along with the entire SPIRIT SERIES curriculum, promotes literacy, higher-order thinking, positive core values, presentation skills, teamwork, character and self-esteem.
Follow the SERIES action on your school’s special webpage:
The success of SPIRIT SERIES depends on your engagement and support. In the next three weeks, your student may bring home other assignments and a craft project. If so, please assist them in completing these valuable tasks. You may also wish to read the play, available on this website, and discuss together the key message of Chief Sitting Bull’s life. This drama-based transformative experience promises to be of lasting significance to your student. Thank you for your active participation.
Hope to see you at the show!
— Your SPIRIT SERIES STAFF
- In nearly 30 years of teaching, I have never experienced any program with such long-reaching effects as Spirit Series.Robin Winston4th Grade Teacher
- “As educators, we are fueled by those small but powerful moments when a student steps out of their comfort zone and stretches their thinking. Thank you Spirit Series!”— Michele KenistonPrincipal, Berwick ME
- This program should be in every school across America!William Donovan6th Grade Parent
- “Exquisite… Vitally important… Extremely engaging and effective.”Harvard Graduate School of Education2011
- “Their stories made me cry! These kids said amazing things and just blew me away.”— Marne TrevesLAUSD Teacher, Los Angeles CA
- It's time we tend to the spirit of our children!Sonia MillerPrincipal, Samuel Gompers Middle School
Learn with your student
Learn about us
Led by the buffalo, led by the sun…
to Tell the Truth.
— Chief Sitting Bull
and the one who has it must follow it
as the eagle seeks the deepest blue of the sky.
— Crazy Horse
— Black Elk
what life we can make for our children.
— Chief Sitting Bull