SPIRIT SERIES is designed as an immersive, 15-hour literacy and values in-school adventure. Unlike other arts-related curricula, the SERIES is best delivered in 15 consecutive school days–one hour per classroom, per day, This intensive approach creates optimal conditions for full student engagement.
“There is not a single student in my class who did not cheer when I announced that SPIRIT SERIES would soon begin!”
— Jessica McFerren 5th Grade Teacher, Mar Vista Elementary
Program participants must study, co-write, stage, and perform an inspiring one-act biographical play for family, teachers, and peers in just 15 hours, over the course of three short weeks. The stakes are high. The demands are extreme. The material is rigorous, often several grades above student reading levels. Every step is a challenge. And yet, time and time again, these challenges are met–fulfilling the SERIES promise: to teach wisdom as well as knowledge, and build character as well as academic skills.
“Most importantly, thanks to SPIRIT SERIES, our students have begun to engage in a conversation about what it means to live a good and meaningful life.”
— Jessica Lider & Meghan McGoldrick, Academy Two Teachers, Frederick Pilot MS
VIEW LESSON PLANS HERE
- “It changed my life — Spirit Series!”Dominika Peikos7th Grade
- “Their stories made me cry! These kids said amazing things and just blew me away.”— Marne TrevesLAUSD Teacher, Los Angeles CA
- In nearly 30 years of teaching, I have never experienced any program with such long-reaching effects as Spirit Series.Robin Winston4th Grade Teacher
- This program should be in every school across America!William Donovan6th Grade Parent
- “Exquisite… Vitally important… Extremely engaging and effective.”Harvard Graduate School of Education2011
- It was an honor doing Spirit Series — I will remember it for the rest of my life!Maria Aguilar8th Grade
- Spirit Series is one of the most amazing curricula I have seen in my four decades of public education.Janet ChapmanPrincipal, Rosewood Elementary School